We Sisters of St. Francis, Clinton, Iowa, in the spirit of Saint Francis and Saint Clare, are called to contemplation and continuous conversion and are sent as instruments of God’s peace. We promote active nonviolence and peacemaking, seek justice for those marginalized and care for all creation.
Death Penalty Statement (2003)
The Sisters of St. Francis, Clinton, Iowa, Associates and Sojourners oppose the death penalty and call for its abolition.
In furtherance of this position:
- We support legislative and other efforts to abolish the death penalty.
- We support efforts promoting a moratorium of the death penalty and a study of its implementation.
- We support legislative efforts to restrict its application, particularly in cases of minors and persons who are mentally retarded and mentally ill.
- We oppose legislation to broaden or reinstate the death penalty.
- Recognizing the human agony and suffering involved, we support the families of the victims and of those on death row and their families in their journeys of grief, repentance, healing, forgiveness, reconciliation, and/or quest for exoneration.