– April 15, 2014 –
Social media networks are a great way for people to stay informed about important death penalty news and learn about Sr. Helen’s latest projects. Sr. Helen’s Facebook page recently reached 10,000 followers, and the page for the Dead Man Walking School Theatre Project, a creative project that engages young people in conversation and art about the death penalty, is also growing steadily. Most recently, through social media, “fans” were asked to support Glenn Ford, a man who was exonerated after spending 30 years on Louisiana’s death row. MADP created the Glenn Ford Fund and we quickly raised nearly $4,000 to help Ford transition into his new life.
Consider these tips about promoting important causes – like ending the death penalty – on your social media outlets:
- Make a photo petition for your cause. Take a picture of yourself holding a powerful message and encourage others to do the same.
- Use hashtags to connect with others and start a larger conversation.
- Build relationships with your friends and followers. Interact with them and respond to their comments.
- Call on the support of similar organizations to help spread information that is important to you.
- Reach out to your local legislators online about the causes you care about.
If you’ve never tried using social media to share your views on the death penalty, try out these tips to get started!
This article first appeared in the April 2014 CMN Newsletter.